Why consider our online Reading Endorsement program
Gain the expertise to help students increase their literacy skills and advance your career with the Reading Endorsement online program from Southern Oregon University. This in-demand program features a practicum (which requires a teaching license) and preparation for the Oregon Reading Intervention Endorsement. (Teachers licensed outside Oregon should inquire of their state licensing agency to learn about requirements for adding the endorsement to their teaching license.)
This program provides a pathway to state-approved specialization and will allow you to gain competence in teaching the interactive processes of reading, writing, listening, speaking, viewing, and thinking across the curriculum. Increase your understanding of issues related to reading instruction and assessment with research-validated strategies and assessment tools that will help you meet the needs of individual learners.
Along with the 100 percent online coursework, apply your knowledge with real-life, on-the-job training.
With this Reading Endorsement, you’ll be able to:
- develop an understanding of the issues related to effective reading instruction,
- acquire the tools to improve student achievement in the content areas through the developmentally appropriate integration of literacy strategies, and
- gain real-life experience through the practicum as you earn your endorsement.
SOU is #1 in the “Best Colleges for K-12 Education Degree Programs” rankings in the U.S. by Schools.com, 2020.
Also available online:
SOU offers online graduate-level education programs in a variety of concentration areas. Explore all of our online education programs.
NEED MORE INFORMATION?
SOU’s cost-effective tuition was designed for students like you
Our Reading Endorsement online program features the same affordable, pay-as-you-go tuition for all in-state and out-of-state students.
Important dates for our students
The Reading Endorsement online program is designed to be flexible for busy professionals. With seven-week courses and multiple start dates each year, you can earn your endorsement conveniently in as few as six months.
|Term||Start Date||App Deadline||Document Deadline||Registration Deadline||Tuition Deadline||Class End Date||Term Length|
|Summer 1||6/13/22||5/30/22||6/1/22||6/8/22||6/17/22||7/31/22||7 weeks|
|Summer 2||8/1/22||7/18/22||7/18/22||7/27/22||8/5/22||9/18/22||7 weeks|
What you need to know before applying
The admission process for our Reading Endorsement online program is simple and streamlined so you can get started right away. Requirements for full admission include:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- 3.0 GPA cumulative on undergraduate coursework
- No GRE or teaching license required for admission
Reading Endorsement Program Online Admission Requirements
- Applicants with a bachelor's degree in any discipline from an accredited institution and transcripts verifying a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale are granted admission status into the MSEd online degree program.
- Applicants whose cumulative GPA is below 3.0 may be invited to submit additional materials for a holistic review of their application. Depending on an initial review of your application, you may be asked to provide:
- An additional explanation of your intentions in pursuing the degree and a description of your readiness to succeed in an accelerated online degree program, or
- Two or three letters of recommendation speaking to your ability to succeed in an accelerated online degree program, or
- GRE scores of at least 145 Verbal, 145 Quantitative, and 3.5 Analytical Writing.
- Applicants must submit official transcripts from all previous educational institutions attended.
- No GRE or teaching license is required to enter the program. A preliminary or professional teaching license for Oregon is required prior to enrolling in READ 509 Practicum.
- International student applicants interested in enrolling in the SOU online MSEd program should contact the Office of International Programs for information related to international admissions and visa restrictions. Contact the Office of International Programs by emailing [email protected].
Southern Oregon University considers you an international student if you are NOT a:
- U.S. citizen or national;
- U.S. permanent resident or other eligible noncitizen.
Graduate Admission Requirements for International Students:
- Applicants must have a bachelor's degree equivalent to a four-year U.S. bachelor's degree from a recognized university in that country.
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended; documents must be official and include an English translation. Applicants are required to have documents mailed to SOU in a sealed envelope from the school, which has not been opened. SOU will not accept scans, faxes, photocopies, or already opened documents.
- If English is not your native language, you will need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score.
- You do not need to submit a score if you earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a U.S. college/university or completed your education in a native English-speaking country.
If you need to submit official documents by mail, send them to:SOU Admissions Department
1250 Siskiyou Blvd.
Ashland, OR 97520
Have a question? Call us at 800-490-7974800-490-7974.
Learn more about the classes in your online Reading Endorsement program
The Reading Endorsement online curriculum is comprised of 6 courses (24 credit hours). Preliminary or Professional Teaching License for Oregon is required prior to enrolling in the practicum.
*Tuition and fees are subject to change.